logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anvar  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:36 AM(UTC)
Anvar

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I know this has come up before in the old forum for Para, but I think now's a good time to bring it back up, as there are many more interested with the game closer to launch and SC now in ashes.

As subject line states: moderators. Although SC ostensibly had 2 dedicated moderators on staff (who became increasingly absent as time went on), Para's developer staff is minute, to say the least (1 coder and 2 artists), and everyone is basically volunteers, so one cannot expect full-time paid-staff moderators as some games have.

I personally have advocated for volunteer player moderators when Para goes live (there's too much trouble-shooting to do currently to worry with that in the short term), to be decided by the development staff. The point isn't to completely sensor an individual, but if someone is exceedingly nasty towards others, that needs to be addressed. Many a time I've seen social games turn south due to such sour interaction. A player moderator could temporarily ban an individual from chat channels, which could become permanent pending review by the developers. This doesn't mean the person couldn't play, only not interact in chat (which would make play difficult in group play, but not impossible).

Alternatively, or in addition, to player-moderators, a "report" function could be implemented. Reports would not be spammable, but it would flag an individual for review by a mod or dev.

I felt I should get this out of the way before we get to the "meat and potatoes" of the game itself. I know not everyone will agree, and that is fine, but we would appreciate your input on this.
thanks 7 users thanked Anvar for this useful post.
italoricco on 10/8/2013(UTC), Symbiatch on 10/8/2013(UTC), Wohlma on 10/8/2013(UTC), dervish on 10/9/2013(UTC), GAMBlT on 10/12/2013(UTC), Pannari on 10/13/2013(UTC), Dangerdoom on 11/1/2013(UTC)
boothaler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:12:51 AM(UTC)
Boothaler

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds like a good idea!
thanks 1 user thanked Boothaler for this useful post.
Anvar on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Symbiatch  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:11:03 PM(UTC)
Symbiatch

Was thanked: 331 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Yes, this is something we will implement. Report function will be done so the admins can determine what's going on and player moderators sounds like a very good idea. I shall put it on the (long) list of things to do!
thanks 3 users thanked Symbiatch for this useful post.
dervish on 10/9/2013(UTC), Anvar on 10/12/2013(UTC), GAMBlT on 10/12/2013(UTC)
Wohlma  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:42:08 PM(UTC)
Wohlma

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Sounds great if you choose the right guys for this job... Not everybody can handle this decisions easily... ;)
FallenAzrael  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 5:07:35 AM(UTC)
FallenAzrael

Nice. Will be looking forward to the lockdown on those that mouth off too much.
thanks 1 user thanked FallenAzrael for this useful post.
Anvar on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Pannari  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:19:05 PM(UTC)
Pannari

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Very nice. Looking forward to the beta! :)
thanks 1 user thanked Pannari for this useful post.
Anvar on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Ceifaero  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 4:07:39 AM(UTC)
Ceifaero

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Moderation is a slippery slope but chaos often follows without at least some.

I suggest allowing users to moderate their own experience, a paradigm currently present in many social sites but perhaps in not as many games. Offensive users and posts can be either blocked or muted, etc. There should definitely be a way to report users with egregious behavior, however.
Anvar  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:13:01 AM(UTC)
Anvar

Ceif,

Most of that is already implemented, but we are erring on the safe side. This whole fear of over-doing it rarely manifests, IMHO.
Codyfofficial  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2013 10:39:46 PM(UTC)
Codyfofficial

How about a system (if possible to create that is) where you opt-in to become a moderator, by opting-in you agree to have your interactions with other players reviewed and your generally helpfulness, respect for other, so on and so forth.
After x amount of time you are approved as a moderator, but you split shifts with other moderators so lets say you have 60 moderators. Depending on the amount of moderators you get a certain amount of moderation time, in this example 60 is an easy number that mean you have two moderators moderating over a span of a single day. Moderators will not have to be online through the course of this time but when a player has a conflict and types an anonymous (or not [to reply]) question it is sent as a P.M. in game to the moderator themselves available to be answered whenever. (Hopefully within the day the moderator is moderating) if you give no help to people as a moderator (you receive questions but don't answer or help people) you're automatically opted-out and it's another moderators decision wether or not you can opt-in again or if your negligence is more than just forgetting (ie: being rude, etc.)

-Codyfofficial, Architect

***Edit***

Anything that can't be approved by a moderator (Accusations of x saying "" to y) will be handled by a moderator (probably game creator) via emailed screenshots of x saying "" to y.
Something like that.

Edited by user Friday, October 25, 2013 10:43:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Codyfofficial for this useful post.
Anvar on 10/26/2013(UTC)
AroneIIe  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:14:47 AM(UTC)
AroneIIe

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
One potential concern is that some conversations (and we KNOW who I'm talking about) may be misinterpreted by some as unfriendly, but in actuality are things that 'need' to be said, which upsets the other person, and may cause a report. Censorship is often a very fine line, such that the censor appropriately removes clearly inappropriate people and language and attitudes, but that doesn't interfere with a conversation that upsets someone just because they're not strong to engage in an adult debate of a topic that involves multiple people taking different sides of the argument.

And I'll reference something that I sometimes say and that I may need to repeat... Why is it okay for you to be an idiot, but not okay for me to point that out?

Edited by user Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:21:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Premature post before done.

graf808  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:35:42 AM(UTC)
graf808

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Anvar,

I've been a MUD Admin, Law Arch and BBS sysop in the past. I'd be willing to serve as a volunteer moderator should you need me.

(MUDs were MMORPG's in the days when everything was text, for those of you not familiar)
thanks 1 user thanked graf808 for this useful post.
Anvar on 2/7/2014(UTC)
Anvar  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 9:47:48 AM(UTC)
Anvar

We'll keep it in mind graf (played MUDs myself for years. Realms of Imagination was my favorite).

This is being strongly considered for the near term.
Anvar  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 9:53:00 AM(UTC)
Anvar

Originally Posted by: AroneIIe Go to Quoted Post
One potential concern is that some conversations (and we KNOW who I'm talking about) may be misinterpreted by some as unfriendly, but in actuality are things that 'need' to be said, which upsets the other person, and may cause a report. Censorship is often a very fine line, such that the censor appropriately removes clearly inappropriate people and language and attitudes, but that doesn't interfere with a conversation that upsets someone just because they're not strong to engage in an adult debate of a topic that involves multiple people taking different sides of the argument.

And I'll reference something that I sometimes say and that I may need to repeat... Why is it okay for you to be an idiot, but not okay for me to point that out?

I'll re-state what was said earlier in this thread, Aro. The abject fear of censorship or lack of "free speech" (which actually doesn't exist in a private, closed system like this as a right anyway) casts a larger shadow than the cloud ever is. I understand your mode of posting/trolling, but we only want a healthy social environment. If that means policing things before they get out of hand, so be it. When is enough retaliation replies enough?
Volk  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:01:22 AM(UTC)
Volk

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I like the idea, with a set number of moderators on at a time. a shift system.

also id love to be a part of that, i love the game and even though im not as badass as a player like some of you are, im always on.

also, moderators should not be bias in situations, and if theres an event where one moderator feels they cannot handle a situition due to that, they should pass the torch to another mod.
Those who Fear change cannot prosper.
thanks 1 user thanked Volk for this useful post.
Anvar on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Anvar  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:27:09 AM(UTC)
Anvar

Not sure if we need a cap at any one time, but there should be at least one mod available 24/7, if possible.

One needn't be the most competitive player to be a good arbitrator, and thus a goid game moderator, just a sense of fairness and grasp of gameplay standards. For example, are sports referees players or past players? The best usually aren't, except maybe when they were children.
Volk  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:51:39 PM(UTC)
Volk

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 17 post(s)
You have a good point.
Those who Fear change cannot prosper.