logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RiverRigz  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 10:27:29 PM(UTC)
RiverRigz

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
First, big thanks to Symbiatch and the rest for designing what I think will become an awesome game, whether or not it's truly an "heir" to the Shadow Cities experience or not. I've been playing for a few days, slowly gathering a list of stuff that I really like, as well as a list of stuff that I'd really like to see. Here it is, I know you've been waiting with bated breath.

1. Street names: I'm pretty sure that Cap has been setting raids based solely off of previous intel--having some kind of in-game knowledge of where the other team is would be immensely helpful.

2. Visible player info: Dovetailing with the first request, it would be nice to be able to look at other players' stats, currently occupied nexuses, maybe even kills/deaths, et cet. But the most important thing here to me is being able to "see" where the other players (especially and specifically enemy players) are in the game.

3. Levels: So, I really like how attributes are earned, but I'd still like to be able to "level up", if only (and probably only) for the bragging rights. I'd also like other players to be able to see how completely awesome and powerful I am. Why are you laughing? Guys?
Ahem. Anyway, some kind of leveling system would be neat. Maybe there could be perks associated with higher levels: credit rewards, new attacks, whatever. BUT: if you do implement levels, please consider an infinite leveling system. No caps.

4. Few more nexuses would be awesome. This one's pretty self-explanatory.

5. I really, really like that you can "see" both team and enemy structures in the distance. Please don't change this. BUT: one thing I'd like to "see" is a cloudview screen. (Yeah, I know I'm saying to stop comparing games, but there were some really elegant design ideas in SC, and this was one of them.) Although, if it's a matter of the open pinch to see distant structures, or the cloudview, I'd rather have the open pinch. All day.

6. I bet our ships could have grappling hooks or tractor beams equipped. That would be completely bad ass.

7. Please keep global team and player chat. I'd even request that you don't start a "friend" system. The way that the chat function is set up now is pretty awesome. Also, please keep the global "battlegroup." Don't regionalize it.

8. I really love that the sky changes with night and day.

9. Some customization of ships would be awesome. As little as just "dressing", or as much as the ability to buy different ships with different abilities. Also, maybe some graphic differentiation between different PPA NPC classes.

10. Link players to their IP address and make alts a part of the game. People will make alts no matter what, but pretending like it can be regulated is ridiculous. Allow for that fact and either limit each IP address to one player, or make privileges for "original" accounts and reduce them for alts. Allow for resource trading between alts, but maybe cap the level to some number for non-original accounts. Something. Just acknowledge that this will happen and make some attempt to incorporate it positively, rather than ignoring it.

11. When you're millionaires, I'd really love to see actual landscapes: mountains, riverbeds, valleys, hills, all of it. No hurry.

12. Punish success with minor inconveniences. Just for fun. You're on top of the leaderboard? Jumping costs more energy. You've just banned ten players in a row? Shields reduced by a quarter. Games should be hard, not conquerable.

13. THE MOST IMPORTANT: imagine what this game could be if Shadow Cities had never existed. Your foundation is awesome, and I'm really impressed and grateful that you guys have put in the work to make it a reality. Now, go beyond what we know, and what we expected, and make something that is your own.

My opinions are, as always, my own. Best of luck to you.

Rigz

thanks 5 users thanked RiverRigz for this useful post.
Nicci on 2/11/2014(UTC), manders on 2/12/2014(UTC), Symbiatch on 2/12/2014(UTC), KillingTime on 2/14/2014(UTC), GAMBlT on 2/21/2014(UTC)
Anvar  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:09:41 AM(UTC)
Anvar

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RiverRigz Go to Quoted Post
First, big thanks to Symbiatch and the rest for designing what I think will become an awesome game, whether or not it's truly an "heir" to the Shadow Cities experience or not. I've been playing for a few days, slowly gathering a list of stuff that I really like, as well as a list of stuff that I'd really like to see. Here it is, I know you've been waiting with bated breath.

1. Street names: I'm pretty sure that Cap has been setting raids based solely off of previous intel--having some kind of in-game knowledge of where the other team is would be immensely helpful.

2. Visible player info: Dovetailing with the first request, it would be nice to be able to look at other players' stats, currently occupied nexuses, maybe even kills/deaths, et cet. But the most important thing here to me is being able to "see" where the other players (especially and specifically enemy players) are in the game.

3. Levels: So, I really like how attributes are earned, but I'd still like to be able to "level up", if only (and probably only) for the bragging rights. I'd also like other players to be able to see how completely awesome and powerful I am. Why are you laughing? Guys?
Ahem. Anyway, some kind of leveling system would be neat. Maybe there could be perks associated with higher levels: credit rewards, new attacks, whatever. BUT: if you do implement levels, please consider an infinite leveling system. No caps.

4. Few more nexuses would be awesome. This one's pretty self-explanatory.

5. I really, really like that you can "see" both team and enemy structures in the distance. Please don't change this. BUT: one thing I'd like to "see" is a cloudview screen. (Yeah, I know I'm saying to stop comparing games, but there were some really elegant design ideas in SC, and this was one of them.) Although, if it's a matter of the open pinch to see distant structures, or the cloudview, I'd rather have the open pinch. All day.

6. I bet our ships could have grappling hooks or tractor beams equipped. That would be completely bad ass.

7. Please keep global team and player chat. I'd even request that you don't start a "friend" system. The way that the chat function is set up now is pretty awesome. Also, please keep the global "battlegroup." Don't regionalize it.

8. I really love that the sky changes with night and day.

9. Some customization of ships would be awesome. As little as just "dressing", or as much as the ability to buy different ships with different abilities. Also, maybe some graphic differentiation between different PPA NPC classes.

10. Link players to their IP address and make alts a part of the game. People will make alts no matter what, but pretending like it can be regulated is ridiculous. Allow for that fact and either limit each IP address to one player, or make privileges for "original" accounts and reduce them for alts. Allow for resource trading between alts, but maybe cap the level to some number for non-original accounts. Something. Just acknowledge that this will happen and make some attempt to incorporate it positively, rather than ignoring it.

11. When you're millionaires, I'd really love to see actual landscapes: mountains, riverbeds, valleys, hills, all of it. No hurry.

12. Punish success with minor inconveniences. Just for fun. You're on top of the leaderboard? Jumping costs more energy. You've just banned ten players in a row? Shields reduced by a quarter. Games should be hard, not conquerable.

13. THE MOST IMPORTANT: imagine what this game could be if Shadow Cities had never existed. Your foundation is awesome, and I'm really impressed and grateful that you guys have put in the work to make it a reality. Now, go beyond what we know, and what we expected, and make something that is your own.

My opinions are, as always, my own. Best of luck to you.

Rigz

Thank you for your imput, old friend. If I could make a small request in the future: post ideas in separate threads. Much appreciated.

Now, on to your suggestions. Let's take them point-by-point:

1.This has come up numerous times, both with the alpha team and new players. I'm all for it. It is up to Symbiatch to implement such. We know it is possible, but the question is one of how tedious it would be to implement. I hate to make an assumption, but this may be a "second tier" issue. Once again, not my call, but you have my support, what little it is worth.

2.We are actually obfuscating more opponent info on purpose these days. Your info consists of what your reticle shows upon selection of a drone or structure. Personally, I prefer the "fog of war" for opponents, but different leader boards for "most kills" and the like would enhance gameplay past just high score.

3.Symbiatch purposefully deviated from the level system for an attribute-only system. Levels are neat, and another way to track progress, but not necessary. As it stands now, attributes are functionally uncapped with a positive sloping advancement the higher one goes.

4.Something talked about in our alpha group, and what could become a possibilty, is either an in-game nexus request system or here in the forums. As remote draining of siphons is available, and there are no perks to controlling a nexus, besides bragging rights and holding territory, there is no real strong push here. Another "second tier" item which could become reality in the future.

5.There are already a number of ways to detect local drones and structures, namely your minimap (circle in upper-right corner) and rader "punch" command (opposite of "pinch" command). These paired with local comm line are excellent for coordinated play, either PvE or PvP. It was also another conscious deviation from other games, both stylistically and functionally. "Pull to cloudview" will most likely never make it into PV, for various reasons, such as when lagged during mass PvP.

6.That is both an interesting and unique idea, in my experience, for this game. Like a "reverse leapfrog". Symbiatch sees all, and will consider this. I like it.

7.I too like the current set up, both competition-wise and in the chat lines. More may be added in the future, based upon what we have in store for group play, but I don't think there will be regional or national "battlegroups" ever. It disconnects players in a way that is unnecessary. Some have requested friend lists, and that may happen as well (I'm ambivalent on such), as well as mute lists (which I whole-heartedly support). The social functions are set in their base form, but will evolve to higher functionality over time.

8.Isn't it cool? Little touches like that make the game unique, both for play and artistically.

9.Agreed. This is definitely in the works. Such options may be earnable, buyable, or both. **Coming soon to an app near you**

10.Our policy is "one account per device". This will not eliminate alt accounts, but drastically reduce them. I lobbied very strongly for this policy, and Symbiatch agreed. On the flip side, changing one's faction should be possible in the future, either in-game or out (such as my account, which has been both Radical then Anarchist).

11.Haha! That'll just be Symbiatch, unless he's gonna surprise me with some stock options for my birthday. That would be awesome. I'm not sure how practical it would be, but definitely awesome.

12.I'd have to disagree here, just on philosophy. Success shouldn't be punished, IMHO. Now, maybe have a "safe zone" for newer players, where, if they are beneath so many skill points, they cannot be attacked by the opposing faction unless they initiate. Stats and skills are not set in stone just yet, and we've done a number of server wipes previously, so it shouldn't surprise anyone if such happens again. Also, temporary buffs will be available via the store soon, to mitigate these issues.

13.Indeed. There is much left to do. We look to not replicate GA's many mistakes.

Keep those suggestions coming!

thanks 1 user thanked Anvar for this useful post.
jstcuz on 2/11/2014(UTC)
Azmodeus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:07:17 PM(UTC)
Azmodeus

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Grappling hooks!! Yes please!!