logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FeRaLcHiLdE  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 9:18:39 AM(UTC)
FeRaLcHiLdE

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Not a bug report - that would go in that section.

I'm talking about the code that spawns Party Portals (however that occurs). The way PPs are set up, it is nearly impossible to set a portal that will last unless all siphons are destroyed to power it down, which restricts game play. Here are the reasons that doesn't work well in my opinion:

1. Tourism portals - many of us are drawn to VR for the joy of exploring maps. To reach some remote areas (or even nations), much time and effort can go into real life travel or to crawl miles across the map (turret walking, leapfrogging). A portal is placed for progress in the trip or to return BUT A PP SHOWS UP BEFORE NEXT LOG IN AND ALL THAT ENERGY WAS WASTED by the opposing team destroying it as an opportunity to gain a few measly points.

2. Remote players - not all of us live in the city. To reach more than my local two nexus points, I have to drive an hour in the country and spend $20-30 on gasoline (WHICH I COULD SPEND HERE INSTEAD). This means that just to play Para as intended, I must set portals at these far away nexus locations. Of course, when a PP occurs and the opponants take these portals away, your code just wasted my money (and I live below the poverty line, being chronically disabled). I am not alone in this - over the years I've seen many players quite location based mmos due these difficulties of being remote. Trust me on this one too: we country folk value our online devices even more than city folk do - they are our entertainment, news and social lifelines since we can't just walk or take a taxi to a club or theatre.

3. There will be more PPs and battles and fun stuff, but some portals will NEVER be replaced once destroyed. This was a huge sentimental loss to the community when it would happen in another game. Players we missed often only had that 'portal' to be remembered by. In addition we had remote graveyards for retired players - an impossibility here with the current dynamics.

So then, I suggest changing the Party Portal trigger from whatever it is now to something that won't rob us of our portals via random raiding. It's downright discouraging and I want to see players enjoy this game, not try it out and quit due frustration. Thanks.

Edited by user Friday, July 18, 2014 9:25:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: My foot

thanks 2 users thanked FeRaLcHiLdE for this useful post.
olivemma on 7/18/2014(UTC), Maestro on 7/28/2014(UTC)
FeRaLcHiLdE  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 9:10:34 PM(UTC)
FeRaLcHiLdE

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I only have one example to compare PPs to, unfortunately: SC superbeacons.

These were triggered by excessive harvesting and so acted as a similar balance as here, but you could only have them where you harvested - NOT at remote locations (due harvest location requirement). While I won't pretend that I know how all these codes work, I do feel that the current PP trigger should be altered.

Edited by user Friday, July 18, 2014 9:11:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: A mosquito bite

olivemma  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:04:19 AM(UTC)
olivemma

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Feral, the good thing in SC was that you could unpower a beacon to keep it "safe" because with spiders, no remote beacon were so safe, if I remember right... (I've lost a few due to this)
Maestro  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:18:14 PM(UTC)
Maestro

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Long time ago I suggested signposts, which would be able to lessen the problem that you are adressing.