logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vvip222  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:11:19 AM(UTC)
vvip222

"Since 2018, Chris has brought a valued perspective to a number of important issues, and he has been an outstanding friend and colleague to countless people at the commissioner's office," Commissioner Rob Manfred said. "The Rangers know they are getting an exceptional person."

Kaegel, 81, wrote for the Granite City Press-Record in Illinois in 1964 and spent 12 years covering the Cardinals for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and more than two decades covering the Royals for The Kansas City Star. He edited The Sporting News from 1979 to 1985 and spent more than two decades covering the Royals for MLB.com. He covered all 162 games in 2011, four years after a liver transplant.

Allen has never publicized his generosity, nor has he ever lobbied for inclusion in the Hall. (Allen declined to be interviewed for this article.) His refusal to “play ball” – to engage with the sports press – is evident in the Hall votes. In his first year of eligibility in 1983, writers gave him only 3.7% of the vote, a figure so low he actually dropped off the ballot. Even after being added back to the ballot in 1985, after the Baseball Writers’ Association of America decided to give 11 players a second look, Allen still struggled to get votes. In his 14 years on the association’s ballot, he topped out at 18.9% — with 75% needed for induction. In his five previous chances before the Veterans Committee — which evaluates players who may have been overlooked — he never got more than 16% of the vote until 2014, when he fell that one vote short.Colorado Rockies Face Masks

Doolittle: I go back to one of the most epic deals in winter meetings history, when the Blue Jays sent McGriff and Fernandez to San Diego for Carter and Alomar. Toronto won back-to-back World Series in 1992 and 1993, with Alomar serving as a catalyst and Carter providing a historic World Series-ending homer in 1993.Cleveland Indians Face Masks

How Adam Wainwright's love for fantasy football has benefited more than 30 charities
"This is the greatest honor of my entire career and probably will be when I lay my head down to rest for the final time," Wainwright said during a conference call. "It doesn't have me stopping anything now. These players are going to hear more from me. I'm going to be in their ear: 'Hey, let's do this. Let's do that. Let's go here. Let's go there even more now.'"

These words summarize Allen’s career. Every time Allen spoke out, every time he talked about money and every time he asserted his right to be treated with dignity as a man, not a boy, fans and writers painted him as the stereotypical angry Black man. When Allen appears on the ballot for induction into the Hall of Fame next year, the committee will have a chance to finally give him the respect he has long earned.Pittsburgh Pirates Face Masks

Alden Gonzalez: I don't know if this is actually it, but I'll go with the Los Angeles Angels signing Albert Pujols in 2011 at least partly because of where I was at the time -- in my early 20s and a month into my first beat, covering, of course, the busiest team of all. The final day of the winter meetings is typically uneventful; the Rule 5 draft takes place in a giant conference room early in the day, then all the executives and reporters rush out of the hotel to catch their flights back home. But it started to feel as if this year's version would be completely different the night before, when word began to spread that the Angels -- with two legitimate first basemen already on their roster -- were serious about signing a man who at that point was still the game's greatest player. The following morning, just before those conference-room doors opened to the media, the Angels landed Pujols with a historic contract. Within the hour, C.J. Wilson agreed as well. On one of the industry's most tedious days, the Angels spent more than $300 million. I might have blacked out.MLB Face Masks