logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vvip222  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:10:03 AM(UTC)
vvip222

"We've seen who that's affecting, seeing how the meals have helped people. We've seen how the water has changed people's lives and how the the medical facility has changed people's lives," he said. "And so seeing that in person, it's really powerful."Chicago White Sox Face Coverings

Dick Allen (left), pictured here with Pittsburgh Pirates star Willie Stargell (right), played nine of his 15 major league seasons with the Phillies. He won the American League MVP with the Chicago White Sox in 1972. FOCUS ON SPORT/GETTY IMAGES
It started with his name. “I’d like to be called Dick. … My name is Richard, and they called me Dick in the minor leagues,” he told a reporter from the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin in 1964. Yet the Phillies listed his name as “Richie” Allen, perhaps in an attempt to connect him with Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn, who starred for the Phillies in the 1950s. The diminutive rankled Allen. It “makes me sound like I’m 10 years old. I’m 22,” he said.

Gonzalez: When the Cubs signed Jon Lester in 2015, largely because of what it meant -- that the "Lovable Losers" were suddenly a force. The Cubs were a last-place team in 2014, but Joe Maddon had arrived, Kris Bryant was on his way and Jake Arrieta had emerged. There was a sense heading into those meetings that the Cubs might do something significant. Then they signed Lester to a whopping six-year, $155 million contract -- topping the Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers for his services -- and proved they were serious. Word spread through downtown San Diego late on a Tuesday night. I was returning from dinner in the Gaslamp Quarter. And walking directly in front of me was Maddon, who was on his way to see Theo Epstein. He was, as you might expect, beaming.

ESPN reported last month that LSU had self-imposed a loss of eight scholarships over two years; a reduction in recruiting visits, evaluations and communication; and a ban of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. from its football facilities for two years.Seattle Mariners Face Coverings

Which team, in which year, made the all-time biggest winter meetings splash -- and how did it end up working out?
Schoenfield: Let's look at what Whitey Herzog did for the St. Louis Cardinals at the 1980 winter meetings. The Cardinals had been stuck in neutral for more than a decade and finished 74-88 in 1980. Hired as the club's GM in August, Herzog made himself the manager as well, then set out to remake the club. He signed Darrell Porter as a free agent, then made three big trades involving 23 players, trading away 12. He acquired two future Hall of Fame relievers (Bruce Sutter, Rollie Fingers) and then traded away Fingers and another Hall of Famer, Ted Simmons. The deals involved four All-Star catchers (Porter, Simmons, Gene Tenace, Terry Kennedy). He traded away a future Cy Young winner (Pete Vuckovich). In all, 11 of the 23 players accumulated at least 10 career WAR and most were still in their primes or early in their careers at the time. And that wasn't all. The following offseason, Herzog used two of the players acquired in 1980 (Sixto Lezcano and Lary Sorensen) to help acquire Ozzie Smith and Lonnie Smith. The Cardinals had the best record in the NL East in 1981 and won the World Series in 1982 -- and basically have been good ever since.Detroit Tigers Face Coverings

Well, in Orlando a couple of years ago, I found myself in line to get food behind Bill James. I'm not unlike many baseball writers and wanna-be analysts -- James has had and continues to have a profound impact on the way I think about the game. We also happen to have both been raised in the rural Midwest. I was introduced to him once years ago at a SABR event in Kansas City, but it was awkward and fleeting, so I knew he didn't recognize me. I followed him through the food line, which had to take at least 10 minutes. I encountered him again waiting for the elevator, then rode up the elevator with him for a few floors, just the two of us. I may have nodded at him at some point, but no words were exchanged.

PHILADELPHIA -- Some key veterans on the Philadelphia Eagles threw their support behind quarterback Carson Wentz on Wednesday, a day after rookie Jalen Hurts was named the starter for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints.Colorado Rockies Face Coverings